Ryne has almost reached the finish line! We’re in Glenallen at the finish, waiting for the two Ryno Kennel teams to arrive. Ryne’s team is a few hours ahead of Kalyn’s team, and both are maintaining a steady pace on this final run of over 70 miles.
A few notes from the trail (for those of you also on Facebook, these are the same notes posted there):
- At Sourdough checkpoint, Ryne said that Ewok had done a fantastic job leading the team through some very challenging terrain on the previous run. Ewok was tired from her efforts, so Goblin and Cooke were switched back into lead. Those boys have done a great job as well.
- For many of the younger dogs, this is their first long distance race. They've been doing very well, working hard on the trail, and eating well at checkpoints. We're definitely very happy with their performance so far, and are rooting for them as they finish the race with this last long run.
- Crunch and Katy led Kalyn's team for the entire first half of the race. Crunch is a young dog as well, and he's done a great job of keeping his team excited. At Sourdough checkpoint, Kalyn gave Crunch a break by moving him back into swing and putting Boone into lead with Katy.
- I've uploaded an assortment of photos from Meier's Lake and Sourdough checkpoints. We didn't get any at Point Lodge, the final checkpoint, because the teams were there exclusively in the dark.
- Ryne should be finishing soon, so keep an eye on the tracker!